Thursday, September 13, 2007

An unexpected privilage


I've been taking ASL at school this year and I really love the class. I'm learning fast and it's really enjoyable. Last Wednesday I have the amazing oppertunity to make a new, particularly special friend. Our youth minister has been recruiting some of the new Seminary girls to help out with the youth, especially with the new mentor program and that's where Logan came in. We don't normally have many new adults, so naturally when I see a new one I'm curious and want to meet them. After just a moment of listening her and Andrew talked, I noticed that her voice sounded alot like a deaf person's, only not as noticable, but she could obviously hear what Andrew was saying so I wasn't sure. Then I got to meet her and I found out that I was correct-she's hard-of-hearing. For any of you who don't know, this means she's not fully deaf, but she doesn't hear as well as a normal person, which is why her voice sounds different, though I think it sounds awesome and her singing voice is beautiful (her hearing is at about 40%). She also wears either a hearing aide or implant, I'm not sure which, to help her pick up more. After hanging out with her, I found her to be such an awesome and amazing person that I really look forward to spending more time with and getting to know better.

Especially because I'm taking ASL, I am so fortunate to have met Logan and I see it as an amazing privilage. She's really not much different than anyone else and she's so much fun! I can't wait until I get to see her again and I look forward to getting to know her better and her becoming a part of my life. :)

No comments: