Sunday, June 12, 2011

+ 1


I found myself thinking about a friend today. I actually only met her through blogging but regardless of never seeing her face to face, I can honestly say she has made a mark on my life. My friend Halley was very sick. She was opennly Bulimic and desperately searching for a way out. I'm not going to go into those details here because that's not the point of this but if you're wondering, since she blogged them herself, I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you visited her at Youth Down The Drain to find out. Though I didn't really know her before her stint in rehab, just by looking back on her posts I can see now that this is a changed woman. I'm am happy to be able to say that today she is, to the best of my knowledge, happy and healthy and absolutely loving her life...and doing all she can to make the best of it.

I know I'm rambling. To be honest, I'm not totally sure why I'm writting about her but for me, journaling in any form is based on instinct. It's so much a part of me that when I get something on my mind and get the feeling that I should write about it I assume there's a good reason for that feeling and so I listen to it. I listen to it and trust that whatever I write, even if it feels like nothing, will turn out to be something, a very important something that needed to be said either to help myself or someone who might stumble across my little hole-in-the-wall.

Anyway, back to Halley. From the day I met her, still crippled by disease and a complete stranger, she was an inspiration to me. After all, how many people can you find on Facebook, send a message and basically say hey, I know you don't know me but I found your blog and thought I needed to reach out to you and not only have them not think you're completely crazy or a creeper but reach back out to you and embrace you with as much love as they can from the other side of the computer screen and tell this stranger that they're here for them, they hear them, and not to give up hope. I know I can call on her anytime I need her and she always keeps my chin up with her optomistic outlook on life and all the crazy messes she manages to get herself into. She was there for me when I needed her eventhough she had no obligation to me whatsoever and didn't even know who I was. If a person like that doesn't deserve a second chance, I don't know who does and I don't know who I'd be happier for to have been given it.

No comments: