Upon FINALLY locating the pianist for my high school choir on Facebook, I did what I often do when it's been longer since I've spoken with someone than the amount of time I knew them for, which is send them a message after I've friend requested them to explain who I am just in case I was so inconsequencial that they get the request and say "who the heck is that?" as I will admit I often have (though in my defense I usually find out I really don't know what person). Anyway, as I began writing, I decided to tell her, just in case she decides not to friend me for some reason, how much she meant to me and the impact she made on my life.
I got to thinking then, how we impact people every day and many times probably never know to what extent. This woman was only our pianist during a performance, while we were getting ready for a performance, or occasionally at random and I was only in choir for a year so in all honesty I didn't know her well at all, nor she I, but she impacted me from day one. During a year when my life was so dark and difficult, so filled with pain, fear, and uncertainty, she was, for what reason God only knows, like sunshine breaking through the clouds that constantly hung over my life. I lit up when I walked in the room and saw her and just watching her play the piano made me happy. For whatever reason it was, I felt drawn to her, like out of everyone around, she really saw me and truly cared about me. I like to think it's because I can read people very well and am a great judge of character and that is what I choose to believe; I could see what I truly good person and tender spirit she was, both inside and out. She made such a difference in my life then, to the point I never forgot her and never stopped missing her and yet she probably never knew.
We had this student teacher when I was in first grade who taught me a special way to use my fingers to do my 9X tables that would never fail and I never forgot, even 14 years later and because of her kindness when I was so small, I never forgot her either; such a small gesture that spoke volumes and stayed with me for over a decade.
It makes me wonder, is there a child out there I spoke a kind word to, a middle schooler I listened to in her time of need, someone I saw when they felt invisible, that will remember me forever while I thought nothing of it and went on my way? When you think about it like that, it really makes you careful about how you act and how you treat others because you never know who you're influencing, for better or for worse. Just something to think about...
"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it." - Hebrews 13:2
Monday, December 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment